TorontoJazz

TorontoJazz.....share the feeling

News

Forum Home > Your news items > Dinny's All Stars retire their run at The Queen Victoria

John Grimley
Site Owner

(via Brian Dinsdale, 20.03.08 ):

It is with regret that Brian Dinsdale has announced the end of the residency of Dinny & the All Stars at The Queen Victoria pub.

Having played there for several years, the band's last gig is Sunday March 15. All their fans and musicians over the years are especially invited to this their final gig there.

Band leader Brian and co-organiser Dorine Dinsdale have decided to "retire" the regular 2-weekly gig. This has been their reluctant decision and stress that it is not because of tany turn-out or managment issues - quite the opposite; both fans and managment have been enthusiastically supporting the band, right from the start. The residency has been a great suceess, especially with its trademark unique line-up at each session, giving fans a dimension to this thing we call jazz that other bands may only dream of. Ironically, the work involved with putting together a new roster fror each gig has been one of the reasons for the decision - it has been a great deal of work for Brian & Do, especially since the band plays at other locations too.

Brian also stresses that he continues to play trumpet and now looks forward to being able to attend other gigs around town, both in the audience and on stage. And, of course, to continue to lead the All Stars at other invited locations.

(JG: as an avid fan of this ensemble, I can attest to the incredible work Brian & Do have put into every performance, exposing us to musicians I rarely see elsewhere and several I've see with his All Stars for the very first time. That top-notch players came from as far away as London, Ottawa and Rochester NY to play in this band says reams about its leadership. The changing dynamic of the band is all but unique in the GTA. Thank you, Brian & Do, for a wonderful run and an enormous amount of enjoyment. You can be very proud of your accomplishment).

March 9, 2020 at 12:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Grimley
Site Owner

(from Brian Dinsdale, 20.03.09):

Very nice John, thank you.
Here's my facebook posting with the line up for Sunday:

Here we blow again, Dinny and the Allstars at the Queen Victoria's Pub, Sunday, March 15, 5 to 8 PM! Another great line up featuring
Glenn Anderson, drums
Tony Quarrington, banjo/guitar
Ron Johnston, bass,
|Micky) Miklos Lorantffy, clarinet/sax
Peter Hysen,trombone
Brian Dinsdale, trumpet!

From the first time I tapped in a number, I could feel the Jazz vibes in the room, and for good reason. Back in the 80's, known as Mr. D's Dining Lounge, it hosted Dr. McJazz:,
CharlieGall
Peter Sagerman
Jimmy Purdie
Ron Johnston
Michael Vesna Walmsley
Harry Ellis.

We could not have found a better saloon for the “Allstars”. A family owned business, Steve and Violet, sons Alex and Phil, daughter in law Vicky, Ma and the Chefs and staff in the kitchen, our favourite servers Vasy and Lucy, ----involved in the community, special events, supporters of live music,---- rock steady, blues, jazz, OKOM, and we thank them all for their gracious hospitality.

Do and I put in a lot of work to make these sessions as enjoyable as they have become for the musicians, our guests and the Pub. And it is a team effort, I could not do it without the loving support of my wife Do. Looking forward, we know it is time to better look after each other. With heavy hearts, broken hearts really, we announce that this March 15 session will be our last. Thank you all for your support and affection, we have met so many wonderful people on both sides of the microphone. I will have much more to say of the musicians at a later post.

Keep on Jazzn!
Dinny and Do

March 9, 2020 at 3:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.